Alfonso Cuarón (Gravity) is writing and directing a horror TV show starring Casey Affleck (Manchester by the Sea).
Deadline reports that the series will be about the beginnings of a cult, and has already garnered interest from networks. Cuarón and Affleck will also executive produce. Whether this is designed as a miniseries or not was not mentioned in the Deadline article.
Cuarón is in post-production on Roma, his first feature since he won the Best Director Oscar for 2013’s Gravity. The film is said to focus on a middle-class family in Mexico City and will portray the 1971 Corpus Christi Massacre that left dozens killed. He said to Variety at the Lumière Film Festival on Sunday that the post-production is going to take some time.
“…because of the nature of what I did, it’s a very long post production,” Cuarón said. “We’ve been working on the post-production of that film for months now. It has to do with dynamics of ambitions and finance in terms of windows of opportunity that we can find throughout the months.”
The filmmaker said he is “extremely pleased with the results of the film” and will “take care of it until it’s completed.” Variety said the project is expected to come out next year. Maybe then, this horror TV series can come alive.
Affleck signed on to the adaption of the 1965 novel Stoner, about the life of a farmer-turned-teacher named William Stoner, last month. The film is to be directed by Joe Wright (Pan) and doesn’t have a release date yet. Wright is on the awards circuit for his Winston Churchill biopic Darkest Hour starring Gary Oldman. He may take Stoner on afterwards, and then maybe Affleck will team up with Cuarón.
Either way, it doesn’t sound like this is coming for a while. Until then, enjoy a long discussion with Cuarón at the Cannes Film Festival from May below. Hopefully the world won’t turn into Children of Men in the meantime.