Surprising nobody, Star Wars: The Force Awakens made more money in its opening weekend domestically and worldwide than any other film in history.
The Force Awakens opened to $247.9 million domestically and $528.9 million worldwide, taking the records set by Jurassic World this past June ($208.8 million domestic/$524.9 million worldwide). Sunday’s estimates were low for The Force Awakens with a still hefty $238 million domestic opening, but “only” a $517 million worldwide opening that would’ve placed below Jurassic World. Universal has already used up all of its luck this year with its fancy 22.5% market share, although Star Wars will certainly boost Disney’s 17.4%.
Made for a mere $200 million (and probably another $150 million more in marketing), The Force Awakens is the 136th highest grossing film of all time in its first weekend of release and has already blown past Return of the Jedi’s $475.1 million worldwide total. The Force Awakens is about $9.4 million away from beating The Empire Strikes Back’s $538.3 million worldwide total to be the fifth highest grossing Star Wars film of all time. The Phantom Menace is the highest grossing flick in the franchise with a total a little over $1 billion worldwide, which The Force Awakens has already made more than half of.
Here’s a list of the records that The Force Awakens broke:
- Largest domestic single day/opening day/Friday gross – $119.1 million
- Previous record holder: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 – $91 million
- Largest domestic Sunday gross – $60.5 million
- Previous record holder: Jurassic World – $57.2 million
- Largest domestic opening weekend – $247.9 million
- Previous record holder: Jurassic World – $208.8 million
- Largest domestic December opening weekend – $247.9 million
- Previous record holder: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – $84.6 million
- Largest domestic wide release theater average (gross made per theater) – $59,582 in 4,134 theaters
- Previous record holder: Jurassic World – $48,855 in 4,274 theaters
- Largest worldwide opening – $529 million
- Previous record holder: Jurassic World – $524.9 million
Close, but no cigar:
- Third largest domestic Saturday gross – $68.2 million
- Record holder: Jurassic World – $69.6 million
- Third largest foreign opening – $281 million
- Record holder: Jurassic World – $316.1 million
Are you one of the few people who haven’t seen The Force Awakens? Read our spoiler-free review if you need some help getting off the couch.
Thanks to Box Office Mojo for the help.